Monday, July 10, 2006

Ch...Ch...Ch...Ch...Chaaaaaanges...

First off, I've never played or been a fan of soccer/football. I don't know the rules and generally would rather watch the History Channel than a soccer match. However, I did see some exciting soccer during the recent World Cup and would not hesitate to watch more games.

With that said, some thoughts:

While I don't much care for the 'dramatic' style of Italian play, I have been to Italy several times and love the country. So, I was rooting for the boys in blue during the final. On the other hand, I have little regard for the nation of France these days, so I was rooting against the French team.

But then a funny thing happened.

The announcers mentioned that the French team was comprised of 'old men', who many consider 'over-the-hill'. Despite the fact that these 'old men' are all younger than I am, I began to root for them because they are considered too old to be able to compete. It began unconsciously at first; then I caught myself clapping and cheering when everyone else was groaning or booing. I did my best to keep it under control, but the fact was I was cheering for the 'old guys'.

I've read and been told that one never truly considers oneself 'old'. Regardless of your age, you always think you're the same person you've always been - the same person who ran around playing tag and then ran around chasing girls. It comes as a shock to find that others start treating you differently. At first you like the respect, but then you realize that it's your chronological status, not your intellect or abilities that are getting the respect.
It's not easy to admit that you can't do what you used to do, that time's no longer on your side and that, no, you won't live forever.

I recently read that they've developed a drug that can prevent the macular degeneration of the eyes that occurs naturally with age. I expect to see a flood of such preventative pharmaceuticals and medical treatments in the next twenty years. The baby-boomers will not go quietly into that good night. (While only 19 days removed from that generation, I steadfastly refuse to consider myself a ‘baby-boomer’)

Who knows, maybe I’ll be playing tag again in 50 years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home